New Pan-Canadian Public Health Network Governance Structure in Effect
The new Pan-Canadian Public Health Network governance structure took effect on April 1, 2011.
NEW Pan-Canadian Public Health Network Governance Structure
Pre-Transition Pan-Canadian Public Health Network Governance Structure (2005 – March 2010)
Transition to the new Pan-Canadian Public Health Network Governance Structure
In December 2010, Federal, Provincial and Territorial Deputy Ministers of Health approved a streamlined governance structure for the Pan-Canadian Public Health Network.
The objectives of the new governance structure are to:
- create a tighter, better focused network;
- improve management and control over planning and priority setting;
- increase efficiency and effectiveness in the work and how it is managed;
- reduce strain on F/P/T resources; and
- improve linkages with other public health stakeholders.
Why the need for a new Pan-Canadian Public Health Network Governance Structure?
A 2008 review of the mandate, structure, roles and responsibilities of the Public Health Network recommended that the PHN undertake an operational review to examine the functioning of the PHN.
In 2009, an operational review of the PHN was undertaken to examine the functioning of the network. The operational review focussed on producing specific recommendations to strengthen the PHN related to mandates, structures, roles and responsibilities, membership, priority setting, planning processes, meetings, communications and supports.
Overall, the operational review found that there was a need to refocus the PHN governance structure to facilitate vertical and horizontal streamlining to:
- Ensure the work of the PHN aligned with overall strategic priorities and direction received from F/P/T Deputy Ministers of Health;
- Strengthen management processes to enhance the timeliness, relevance and value of deliverables and PHN activities;
- Ensure that F/P/T resources are used efficiently; and
- Leverage partnerships with other public health stakeholders.
- Date modified: